Android Basics, Root, Recovery & bootloader

3n3rg1c

Average
Reaction score
Guys I thought about this long time ago but I was lazy on this. So in this thread I will try to cover as much as I can you can also ask questions and give me suggestions etc.

So let's start ...

I will be covering

1. Basics, What is android basic therms etc.

2. Rooting methods various exploits

3. Boot loader unlocking.

4. Recoveries uses and how-to.

5. Fix battery issues.

6. Tweaks for rooted phones

7. Tweaks for non rooted stock Roms.

List is lengthy I will update this later on...

It will take about a week for me to complete this so please don't freak out.

3n3rg1c

Average
Reaction score
1.Basics.

So what's android. Basics haha.. Android is open source Linux based operating system developed and supported by Google. Android basically runs on virtual machine with help of dalvik runtime or art (android runtime only on 4.4+)

ROM : Core Android OS ie. Android. It's in versions like 1.5 ,1.6,2.0 now up to android l Dev preview.

Root : It's the way to gain superuser privilege on android. Same as one on Linux.

Boot loader : it loads os after initiating all codes etc and tells android all is well now continue to boot. Unlocking bl gives amazing ability to android devices to run customized android build or kernel.

Kernel : it's basically a link of interaction b/w software and hardware. It has all drivers, instructions to scale CPU and GPU frequency, color scaling of LCD/screen etc.

S-On / S-Off = it's only on HTC . Its additional security implemented by HTC to prevent OS modification despite being bl unlocked and rooted. It basically prevents custom recovery by restricting access to /system partition. Write back protection I think???? I don't remember...

I will add more ias I remember what needs to be here

3n3rg1c

Average
Reaction score
2. Rooting.

To get superuser access these methods can be used.

Methods for gaining root.....

1. Rooting via recovery

You need to be unlocked boot loader and must have custom recovery. Now after that just download supersu.zip (Google it) and flash it right away.
This is best method I too use this method frequently.

2. Farmaroot app

It's app that does rooting for most of the phone on the market. It has two exploits.
Just install the app and try first exploit if you get rooted enjoy. If first one fails try the second one.

3. Unlock root.

It runs from PC developed by antutu labs. I used it on old phones and it has worked fine.
Just install software on PC an run it. Proceed as per on screen instruction. Remember you need to enable adb debugging.

4. Super one click root. Similar app to unlock root with different ui and exploit.

Last edited:

3n3rg1c

Average
Reaction score
3. Unlocking Bootloader.

The method is different for different phones. So proceed with caution...
This method works on any nexus device.

First you need to setup fastboot and adb on ur PC . Reboot ur phone to fast boot mode. (Volume down+ power button & select fastboot option via power button) then open cmd inside fast boot folder and type this

Code:
 fastboot oem unlock
Now if u get warning screen on mobile use volume keys to select I agree or similar option.

Now your boot loader is unlocked. There are apps to do this for ex. trickster mod.

This method also works on some other non nexus device like motorola gpe devices.

Now
For unlocking xperia and HTC (don't know about lg) you need to log on to their official developer website like dev.HTC.com etc. And follow instructions there.

Last edited:

3n3rg1c

Average
Reaction score
I need more posts reserved here about 10 mod can u do that....

3n3rg1c

Average
Reaction score
4. Recovery

Hmm so recovery is a partition in android which has some sort of codes which helps manufacturers and users to update phones by ota or perform a hard reset when phone is in a bootloop. This is function of stock recovery ( ie. recovery shipped with phone)

Now the main thing custom recovery is meant more. I mean it will give u entire control of ur phone in terms of modifying system. Like you can unofficial updates of newer android system on a manufacturer abandoned phones for example nexus s running 4.4.4 (unofficial though).

Nevermind so with help if custom recovery u can fix ur phone if it's not booting, improve sound quality or even add beats audio to your non beats phone ......

There are few good recoveries..

1. Clockwork mod (cwm)

Developed by one of the first custom ROM developers Cyanogen mod ROMs.

Code:
Link : clockworkmod.com/

2. Team win recovery project (TWRP)

It's one of the most used and yet powerful recovery around. Started 2-3 year ago its the best add it's customizable touch recovery which enables you to change theme inside recovery. This recovery is Rock stable and it feels like android rom it self but it's not. I myself prefer this recovery.

Code:
Link: teamw.in

3. Philz advanced recovery

Based on cwm and called as advanced cwm.
Yet another good recovery developed by a renowned developer over at XDA it supports many devices and as it's an advanced recovery it supports aroma file manager, install options etc

I don't have link to their website but developer hosts files on AFH and goo.im

Last edited:
The Digital Janta Forum has been archived after serving 2008 to 2022 great years as Top leading Free Internet Forum !