MY PC ISN'T TURNING ON

Rastinder

Master
Reaction score
One hour before my PC started freezing and I turned it off and now I am trying to turn on my PC it shows me a 'dash sign' in the upper left corner and it keeps flashing for 5 minutes and after 5 minutes screen goes black and nothing happens

Please help what is the problem?
Is it RAM or gpu or what?

Last edited:

prince007

Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
it's may be your HDD SATA cable prob. remove it and check your cable then again install and restart your pc. If not work after it then leave your pc off for more than 45 Min then on it again will work fine..

Rastinder

Master
Reaction score
it'e your HDD SATA cable prob. remove it and check your cable then again install and restart your pc. If not work after it then leave your pc off for more than 45 Min then on it again will work fine..
Removed and reinserted same problem was there. Now turned off my PC for 45 minutes...will se what happens after that....

prince007

Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
ok lets wait.. then tell me If any prob comes

kampachi

Talented
Reaction score
hdd got crashed .replace hdd in my opnion no os to boot thats why it has - this sign.

prince007

Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
ok Now check your HDD is running or not by putting your hand on the HDD. If its spins then it's ok. And if some click sounds comes Like-- " tick tick tick" Then Bro. Your HDD have some serious problem.

Rastinder

Master
Reaction score
ok Now check your HDD is running ort by putting your hand on the HDD. If its spins then it's ok. And if some click sounds comes Like-- " tick tick tick" Then Bro. Your HDD have some serious problem.
Can you tell me what I am missing here- I am trying to create a bootable pendrive and have extracted all files from .iso image to pendrive and also selected usb drive in boot order but still it's showing nothing and just dash sign

prince007

Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you tell me what I am missing here- I am trying to create a bootable pendrive and have extracted all files from .iso image to pendrive and also selected usb drive in boot order but still it's showing nothing and just dash sign
you use wintoflash it's best for me.

Otherwise you post some ss of boot menu you selecting

dhavalrpatil

Average
Reaction score
try to reset bios to default settings ...do hdd check test from bios... its 99% hdd

Digital

Skilled
Reaction score
check the HDD or remove the ram & clean it with cloth & reinsert them , i think it's 905 HDD problem :sad:

Rastinder

Master
Reaction score
Problem solved ?
try pressing F8 or DEL button
Try your friend's hdd, if working then your hdd is crashed.
Yesterday morning I installed windows successfully and it worked well till I turned off my PC and when I tuened it on again it went back to that old blinking dash problem and now today I again installed windows...worked till Shutdown and Startup....and now same problem is there

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I installed windows successfully and it worked well till I turned off my PC and when I tuened it on again it went back to that old blinking dash problem and now today I again installed windows...worked till Shutdown and Startup....and now same problem is there
It might be a virus or drive error .

1. Just remove the CMOS battery , RAM , and unplug all SMPS wires .

2. Wait for 5 minutes .

3. Plug in all wires , RAM , CMOS battery etc.

4. Boot up the windows 7 CD by pressing F8 / Del / F2(it depends , try all )

5. Format C/Windows drive by going "drive options" while installing windows 7. (Must)

6. Complete the installation and login to windows 7 .

7. DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING (Must)

8. Go to C drive properties by Right clicking C drive , Select Tools and Check drive for errors by clicking "Check Now"

9 . Complete the error check and restart the PC .

10 . Use it for few minutes/hours , try shutdown , restart multiple times .

If the pc is booting normally then it might be a virus .

Do not click/open any newly downloaded crack/patch/software/mp3 etc to avoid automatic deletion of windows files which is crypted with a virus .

Scan your pc for virus

Install clean softwares

Avoid patches for softwares . (You can use c*rac*k/serial)

If the problem still persist , try swapping your RAM simultaneously if you have multiple RAM (1x1 , 2x2 , 4x4 etc) .

Thats it, Reply back !

Rastinder

Master
Reaction score
This time it took about 3 hours to install Windows (maybe because I had removed 2GB RAM stick)

Now after installation I scanned 'c' drive by following ur steps and it firstly told me 'There is no need to dcan this drive' but still I continued with the 'scan this drive' option.

Now after app. 15 mins. It showed 'your drive was successfully scanned. No errors were found' .

Now going to restart my pc

Reaction score
This time it took about 3 hours to install Windows (maybe because I had removed 2GB RAM stick)

Now after installation I scanned 'c' drive by following ur steps and it firstly told me 'There is no need to dcan this drive' but still I continued with the 'scan this drive' option.

Now after app. 15 mins. It showed 'your drive was successfully scanned. No errors were found' .

Now going to restart my pc
But still , 3 hr is too long , anyway

10 . Use it for few minutes/hours , try shutdown , restart multiple times . (Without installing any apps)

marimuthuagri

Junior
Reaction score
i've also faced the same problem in my laptop and it was due to hard disk. use your friend's Hard disk to confirm it. i think its the time to change your Hard disk.

Rastinder

Master
Reaction score
So yesterday I scanned my 'c' and 'd' drive(still e drive is yet tobe scanned) ad found about 28 infected files and deleted them.

I turned on my PC in the morning (it went back to that old problem) and took about 20 minutes to start and was working very very slow(like an very old computer) so I turned it off and now again I turned it on and again it took about half an hour to start and is running very slow now. It takes about 3-4 mins. to open notepad, calculator etc

Reaction score
So yesterday I scanned my 'c' and 'd' drive(still e drive is yet tobe scanned) ad found about 28 infected files and deleted them.

I turned on my PC in the morning (it went back to that old problem) and took about 20 minutes to start and was working very very slow(like an very old computer) so I turned it off and now again I turned it on and again it took about half an hour to start and is running very slow now. It takes about 3-4 mins. to open notepad, calculator etc

Hey bro ,

Confirm that this is not a virus problem ,since it takes 3 hrs to install win 7

Check this in order ,

It might be due to 1) Dust particles inside CPU Socket , 2) Sata cable , 3) RAM , 4) HDD

1. Try changing your SATA cable , (you will get it from a local pc service center/shop for under 100 Rs)

2. Check your CPU fan is working or not . (over heating causes PC to slowdown)

3. (If you know how to, be careful ) Re-assemble processor with heat sink , Clean it, dust particles inside CPU Socket slows down PC (DO NOT TOUCH THE PINS INSIDE THE SOCKET) you can use a hair drier to clean it
(Heat sink : you will get it from a local pc service center for 10/20 Rs)

4. Try swapping your RAMS randomly . (1GB RAM is enough for win7 to run normally, without over usage/any apps)

Use it for 15 minutes and turn off the PC , and check if any particular hardwares is over heating . (AS A PRECAUTION , DON'T FORGET TO UNPLUG WIRE FROM ELECTRICITY )

If the problem still persist , you need additional hardwares to test all items individually !

asssh

Average
Reaction score
Hey .
bro ,

Confirm that this is not a virus problem ,since it takes 3 hrs to install win 7

Check this in order ,

It might be due to 1) Dust particles inside CPU Socket , 2) Sata cable , 3) RAM , 4) HDD

1. Try changing your SATA cable , (you will get it from a local pc service center/shop for under 100 Rs)

2. Check your CPU fan is working or not . (over heating causes PC to slowdown)

3. (If you know how to, be careful ) Re-assemble processor with heat sink , Clean it, dust particles inside CPU Socket slows down PC (DO NOT TOUCH THE PINS INSIDE THE SOCKET) you can use a hair drier to clean it
(Heat sink : you will get it from a local pc service center for 10/20 Rs)

4. Try swapping your RAMS randomly . (1GB RAM is enough for win7 to run normally, without over usage/any apps)

Use it for 15 minutes and turn off the PC , and check if any particular hardwares is over heating . (AS A PRECAUTION , DON'T FORGET TO UNPLUG WIRE FROM ELECTRICITY )

If the problem still persist , you need additional hardwares to test all items individually !
@BLEEDING DATABASE , Your explanation about the problem is very good. Like added.

BTW @Rastinder bro, either it is a hardware problem or a s/w problem. It took 3 hours to install windows - then it must be a hardware problem I think (hard disk bad sector).
You can format the whole HDD with a boot CD and create fresh partition of your HDD. For better result you may left some MB or GB unused in beginning and end of your hard disk memory , then create partition and fresh install windows.

The Digital Janta Forum has been archived after serving 2008 to 2022 great years as Top leading Free Internet Forum !