- Oct 24, 2012
- Reaction score
A few days ago the Samsung Galaxy S2 with model number I9100G received AOKP Build 5. The Android Kang Open Project team has now officially announced the release of JB-MR1 Build 6, featuring Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, for the device. The latest release brings a number of notable customised features.
Features of AOKP Build 6
1) Fully revamped NavBar and lockscreen UI in ROMControl
2) Themeable lockscreen
3) Scrollable toggles
4) Web GL on the Nexus 10
5) Options to Daydream on wireless charger
6) Volume adjust sound preference
7) Open source Superuser
8) StatusBar hide toggle
9) Sleep toggle
Head over to the development page to learn more about the bug fixes and known issues related to the AOKP Build 6.
Galaxy S2 users who are looking to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on their devices using AOKP JB-MR1 Build 6 may follow our step-by-step guide below. The ROM is currently in the development stage, hence, users may come across minor bug issues.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before proceeding users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the requirements below.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 on the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode to connect the phone with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) Create a backup of all the data of the device.
4) The Galaxy S2 should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
5) Verify that the phone should have above 80 per cent of charge.
6) If the device is stuck on boot or experiencing boot loop, then perform 'wipe cache partition' and wipe dalvik cache' for a few more times before rebooting the device.
7) Navigate to Settings>> About Phone to verify the build number of the device since the AOKP Build 6 ROM is compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. Installing this build on incorrect variant will brick the device.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 6 ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100G
1) Download Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean AOKP JB-MR1 Build 6 for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable then transfer the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the device [Note: Do not extract any files.]
4) Unplug the USB cable from the phone then turn it off
5) Boot the phone into CWM recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears. Then release all three buttons for a few seconds and hold them again. The CWM Recovery screen will arrive soon
6) In CWM recovery, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later if the new one does not work or in case users wish to return to the previous build. To perform a backup select 'Backup and Restore' then on the next screen select 'Backup' again. Go back to the main recovery menu after backup is completed
7) Perform data wiping task by selecting 'wipe data/factory reset' then select 'Yes' on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe is complete. Return to the recovery menu, from there select 'wipe cache partition' then select 'Wipe Dalvik Cache' under 'advance' option to perform Dalvik cache wiping
8) Navigate to 'install zip from sdcard,' press the Power button to select it. Now select 'choose zip from sdcard' then locate the Jelly Bean ROM which is copied to the SD card. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation by selecting 'Yes' on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin
9) After the ROM is installed, follow the similar procedure to install Google Apps zip
10) When the installation process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select 'reboot System now' to reboot the phone and boot up into the customised AOKP Jelly Bean ROM. The first boot will take some time.
[Note: In order to go back to the previous ROM, boot the device into recovery, then select 'backup and restore' then restore the previous ROM by selecting it from the list.]
The Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 6 ROM should now be installed and running on the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. Navigate to Setting>> About Phone to verify the software version of the device.